Sweet Chilli Sauce Recipe. I was asked this week if I had a Piri Piri Sauce recipe to share, so I spent the day making this Sweet Chilli Sauce Recipe. The recipe uses store bought Bird’s Eye Chili peppers, it has a bit of heat but should be mild enough for the whole family. Its a very smooth, pleasant tasting sauce, the tomato flavor is strong but it still tastes more like a Sweet Chilli Sauce than a tomato style sauce.
When I was young I had a very large hedge of bird’s eye chili plants . I remember taking a pocket full of them to school one day and daring a few friends to eat them.
This Sweet Chilli Sauce Recipe is rather different to most of the Chili Sauce Recipes I have listed on the website. Most of the recipes only have a prep time of around 10 minutes and a cook time of roughly 30 minutes. This Sweet Chilli Suace Recipe takes a long time to cook but I’ve made it a no brainer. Most of the cooking time is done in the oven to keep the process simple.
This Sweet Chilli Sauce Recipe makes 900ml of Homemade Hot Sauce.
The cooking time is roughly 4 hours, of which at least 3 hours is easy oven time. It sounds like a pain but you can put the sauce mix in the oven and basically walk away for a few hours.
Sweet Chilli Sauce Ingredients
- 6 Ripe Tomatoes
- 3 Dozen Bird’s eye chili (Piri Piri)
- 1 Cup Fine Sugar
- 250ml White Vinegar
- 2 Large Brown Onions
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Head of Garlic
- 8 Teaspoons Worcester Shire Sauce
- 3 Teaspoons Cayenne Pepper Ground
- 8 Teaspoons Smoked Paprika Ground
- 2 Teaspoons Whole Mustard Seeds
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Garam Masala
- 1 Teaspoon Caraway Seeds
- 7 Cloves Whole
Sweet Chilli Sauce Cooking Instructions
- The night before, wash and slice all of the tomatoes.
- Layer the slices of tomato and sugar into a clean glass bowl. Don’t worry about making perfect layers, just a very heavy dusting of sugar on each slice. If you have some sugar left over at the end just pour onto the top of the tomatoes.
- Cover the bowl and place in fridge. If you only want to wait a few hours before starting the cooking process thats okay.
- When you are ready to start making the Sweet Chilli Sauce remove the bowl of tomatoes from the fridge so they can return to room temperature. You will notice a lot of clear fluid in the bowl, I was intending on removing it but I left it in for this recipe.
- Tip the tomatoe slices into a oven safe dish for cooking. Try to spread out the tomatoes into an even layer. Pour any remaining liquid and sugar onto the top of the tomato layer.
- Measure out all of the spices and place in a bowl for mixing. After the spices are mixed together sprinkle them evenly over the tomatoes.
- Cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice of both halves over the tomatoes. Don’t add any lemon rind, the rind has a setting agent and could make the Sweet Chilli Sauce turn into a jam.
- Cut the top off all of the Bird’s Eye Chili peppers and slice them vertically. Have a breif look inside to check for any nasty mold or bugs and then place ontop of the tomatoes.
- Thinly slice the two large brown onions and place ontop of the Bird’s Eye Chili layer.
- The last step is to peel the garlic and add it whole ontop of the onion. A quick way to peel a full head of garlic is to cut off the base of the entire head, the place it in a small pot. Put the lid on the pot and shake the living heck out of it for 30 seconds. After you’re done shaking the garlic around you should find it’s all peeled.
- Place the mix into the oven and set it to 160 C / 320 F. Now you can go relax for around 2 hours or until everything looks nicely baked.
- So at this point every ingredient has been used except for the vinegar.
- After 2 hours or more remove the cooked Sweet Chilli Sauce ingredients from the oven and carefully pour into a blendor/liquifier. You can wait for the ingredients to cool down for a few minutes, take your time.
- Cover the top of the blender and make sure none of the Hot Sauce can escape. Run the blender for a few minutes, the longer the better.
- Select a cooking pot that will fit 1 litre of liquid (1 Quart).
- Straining the Sweet Chilli Sauce. Now you dont have to do this bit but I think its a lot better if you do. Strain the sauce in batches over the pot, you will have to help push the sauce through the strainer with the back of a wooden spoon.
- After the sauce is strained add in the 250ml of White Vinegar.
- Sterilize the jar you intend use for bottling. A food steamer does a great job and they are relatively cheap.
- Cook the sauce in the pot with the lid off for 20 to 30 minutes at a slow rolling boil. This sauce will thicken when it cools, you will find the perfect time to remove the sauce from the heat is when it spits. When the sauce spits it makes a bit of a weird noise, if you keep an ear out for it you will probably hear it. If not pull the sauce from the heat at the 30 minute mark.
- Remove the hot sterilized glass bottle from your food steamer and carefully pour the boiling homemade hot sauce into the hot bottle.
- Put the cap on the bottle and then turn it upside down to sterilize the inside of the cap.
Well there you go, that’s my Sweet Chilli Sauce Recipe made with Bird’s Eye Chili peppers.